Postcards from a young man

10 years ago I started travelling by accident.
I had just met met my now wife, and in an early attempt to impress, we found ourselves at South Stack Lighthouse just outside Holyhead on Anglesey in Wales.
She liked lighthouses you see.
Turned out I did too.

So began an ongoing collection of trips around the world with one eye on seeking out lighthouses, the other on picking out great gigs to travel to.
On rare occasions we've manged to do both in one hit. The Pixies at the State Theatre in Portland, Maine USA was one of the best gigs we've seen, and the nearby Portland Head Lighthouse and Hopper's famous Light at Two Lights made for a wonderful couple of days. 

Edward Hopper wrote of his painting
"To me the most important thing is the sense of going on. You know how beautiful things are when you're traveling."
I have to agree, and the wonderful Mr.Hopper will be a returning theme.

Not all our destinations are driven by the search for a lighthouse or a gig, but sometime you can be pleasantly surprised. Rome for instance has a fabulous lighthouse perched high over the city offering stunning views of the capital city, and we happened across it purely by chance. But more of that at a later date.

I recently got reacquainted with an old school friend who it turns out writes an excellent music blog (please check it out, it's listed on the left) and it got me thinking.......
I've taken photographs from the days of darkrooms and chemicals, and have always kept a journal of some sort, so combining the two seemed like a good idea.
Hence this blog.

We hope we've learnt from our travel trials and tribulations and are getting better at this pottering about lark. Most trips these days are meticulously planned, but on occasion we still manage to do adhoc, as long as it's in the schedule. 
I'll be trying to keep up to date with current trips (wifi and red wine permitting) and revisit some of our past trips with some hopefully decent tips and the odd nice picture.

I hope you enjoy the postcards.x
South Stack Lighthouse, Anglesey, Wales 2007


Comments

Popular Posts